- Prep: 35 min
- Cook:1 hr 40 min
- Portions: 5/6
For the meat
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 675 g minced beef or lamb
- 1 tablespoon of tomato purée
- 3-4 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 3-4 drops of Tabasco
- 175ml dry white or red wine
- 300ml chicken or beef stock
- cracked black pepper
For the topping
- 1.4kg potatoes
- 50ml milk or single cream
- 2 tablespoons mature cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely grated parmesan
Let's Get Started
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/gas 4.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion, celery and carrot, stirring them over a brisk heat but not allowing them to brown.
- After 5 minutes or so add the garlic, reduce the heat and soften everything together.
- Increase the heat again and add the mince, stirring until browned.
- Stir in the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, wine and stock, season and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Boil the potatoes until soft and mash them with milk and butter until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the meat mixture into 6 small freezable and microwavable ramekins (see pic above) and cover with a thick, even layer of mashed potato.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 45-55 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Allow to cool and freeze, defrost in fridge over night and reheat until piping hot throughout before serving.
This recipe is part of our working lunch recipe series, suggesting easy meals that can be prepared in bulk and frozen for when you want them.
Share this recipe with your friends on your favourite social network…